Since 1985, The Cove Center, Inc. has been serving adults in Rhode Island offering a range of instructional, vocational, and residential programs. The Center emphasizes an individuals’ role in making choices and controlling the direction of his/her own life to the fullest extent possible. The ability to make appropriate choices and use self-control requires the on-going education, experience, and support by program staff.
The COVE Center seeks to provide individualized programs that focus on the development of job skills, related social behaviors, communication, adapted living skills and leisure, so that adults with developmental disabilities can become productive and responsible members of their communities. We aim to support adults with autism and other developmental disabilities and behavioral challenges to lead productive, dignified and satisfying lives by:
- Providing the most effective educational, therapeutic, and other habilitative services;
- Advancing knowledge and best practices through research, education and training;
- Involving, educating, and supporting families in caring and advocating for their children.
Programs and Services
- Day Program – a service program designed to respond to the needs of individuals with developmental disabilities including autism, behavioral challenges, and emotional disabilities. Access to vocational, social and communications skill programs allow clients to reach their greatest level of independence, productivity, empowerment and community access.
- Residential Program – provides a variety of residential accommodations for adults with developmental disabilities and special needs. To respond to the needs of adults with developmental disabilities, autism, emotional disorders and other challenging behaviors to help them reach their greatest level of independence, productivity and integration.
- Employment Services Program – The Employment Services Program operates as an educational division within The Groden Network. We serve individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (I/DD) seeking meaningful employment in their communities.
- Stepping Out program – a non-profit organization formed to provide social, educational, and cultural activities for young adults with special needs.
- Cove Artist Collective – the mission of our Collective is to offer our artists, who have autism and other developmental disabilities, employment opportunities.
The following diagnostic criteria are a guide for referring individuals to the program:
- Developmental disabilities
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Intellectual disabilities
- Behavioral disorders
- Emotional disturbances
- Serious communication and learning disabilities
- Dual-diagnosed cognitive and mental health disorders